I'd also been wanting to make something with coconut for a while. I love coconut anyway, but baked it is even better.
Some googling led me to a simple recipe, which I tweaked and played with just a little to make it even better. The original called for all butter, but I did half butter half coconut oil (to up the coconut flavor even more). It also called for regular sugar, but I subbed honey and coconut sugar (better on the glycemic index, plus I just love honey).
I also decided to make these little devils as mini muffins instead of regular muffins. Easier to pop, and quicker to bake... which was perfect since I wanted one NOW. :-) These muffins turned out delicious, fast, and easy. Two bowls, all hand mixed, and completely done in about 25 minutes from decision to make until I was pulling them out of the oven.
Adapted from a Recipe on Food.com
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
(or slightly more when you accidentally overflow your 1/2 tsp measure!)
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray mini muffin tin* with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. Whisk together bananas, butter, coconut oil, sugar, honey, egg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.
4. Divide batter among mini muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
5. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 10 minutes.
6. Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.
Enjoy! These are so yummy and made my house smell amazing.
If you make them, let me know what you think!
* Note: these can also be made as regular muffins, in which case you would want to increase the baking time to about 25 minutes. This makes 24 mini muffins, or I believe 8 full sized ones.