I figured I'd share in case anyone was looking for a super easy, very customizable meal, that's great for on the go.
Cold Quinoa Salad
Chicken or Veggie Broth
Broccoli and Cauliflower (about a head total)
Salt, Pepper, Other favorite seasonings - to taste
Optional: Feta crumbles or cashews
1. Start by toasting up your quinoa (I normally do 1.5 - 2 cups, uncooked) in either butter or oil until it starts to get a little color and that wonderful nutty smell. Add your chicken or veggie broth (whatever amount of water the package calls for, replace that with broth). Cook according to package specifications.
2. While your quinoa cooks, roughly chopped up your broccoli and cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. (I cheated this time and bought a package of mixed florets, so I basically just had to cut them all in half or thirds.)
3. Melt some butter, coconut oil, or olive oil in a pan and add the veggies. Sprinkle with a little salt (and red pepper flakes if you want a kick!), and saute until they gorgeously browned.
4. While the broccoli/cauliflower cooks, dice a small onion, and a few cloves of garlic. When the broccoli mix finishes, poor it into a large mixing/serving bowl, and add the onion to the pan.
5. Stir your onions, and cook until almost browned. Add the garlic, and cook until tender, and golden. Add to bowl along with the cooked quinoa.
6. Add a health pour of extra virgin olive oil, enough to mix throughout all the ingredients (I use basil evoo); and any other seasoning you'd like: salt, pepper, basil, parsley, red pepper are all good ones.
7. Mix well, and pop in the fridge to chill.
8. Whenever you want a quick, delicious meal, scoop some into a bowl and add a sprinkle of feta crumbles or cashew pieces. Enjoy cold or take it with you anywhere and eat room temp.
What do you think? What would you add to your quinoa salad?