a weekend in four acts

So here we are, last week in May... after a great weekend. I'm just going to take it day by day because we fit a lot in. (Warning: super long post... but check it out, I think its worth the read!)

First, Friday night. Trav and I headed to Kohl's to check out their memorial day sale... Trav needed some new dress shirts, and I wanted to look for a new dress. We both ended up finding some good stuff. Trav got two nice shirts and a new tie, and I got three dresses (two formalish and one that I'll wear to work or at home). Pictures later, since I wore them all this weekend!

There were also these:

Which my sweetie-pie husband got me for no reason. I love that. :-)

Saturday! An old coworker of mine, who has since moved on to a different job, got married. It was interesting because I only knew her, and Trav... well he really didn't know anyone! But I was still looking forward to the day. Darby is such a sweetheart, I couldn't imagine not being there for her.

The ceremony was held at the old St. Augstine church in Philadelphia. It is a gorgeous church! Here's the bride walking down the aisle with her father:

Bride and groom sitting under the Virgin Mary during the ceremony:

The whole wedding party, it was big (9 people on each side, not counting the bride and groom)! The whole arch in front was quite beautiful for a backdrop:

Husband and wife!

After the ceremony was over, we headed down the block to Kildare's Irish Pub where the newlyweds were having an "Irish Reception" with cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and an Irish band. It was a lot of fun. Here's the bride enjoying the festivities... she looked amazing!!

When we got home I made Trav stay dressed (see his new shirt and tie?) so I could snap this picture (it's a little blurry because I just used the timer and didn't focus as carefully as I should have first!):

I think we look great. :-)
And here is me about a minute after that picture:

Feels good to throw on the grubbies! ;-)

We also noticed that, apparently, while we were gone that day... our neighbors had their massive tree cut down! I'm torn about how I feel about it. Part of me is sad because it was a beautiful tree! I loved hearing the wind rustle the leaves, and seeing the first buds pop up outside our window in the spring. Not to mention, I just feel sad anytime I see such a nice tree come down. BUT I know it must have been a pain for them to have to cut it back so much every year (it would get too close to the power lines), and who knows what other troubles it might have given them... plus now our back yard has so much more sun!

Sunday we had Darby and Josh's reception. It was held at the Montrose Mansion, a part of the Villanova Conference Center... such a beautiful location! First were cocktails outside, on this:

They also had space inside that you could wander through... with cheese plates set up, and open bars, and even (best thing ever!) a philly cheesesteak station!! Awesome.

Once cocktails were over, we headed inside to take our seats. We had good ones right next to the dancefloor. The wedding party was introduced, and the bride & groom went right up to do their first dance:

They did this whole fabulous number... they started off with a typical first dance song, just doing a box-step... but then they broke into a tango, and did a whole little number like that.

It was really great... not just the number, but seeing how much fun they were having and how happy they were. They really are the cutest couple. Next there was a delicious meal, dancing, and after a few hours, the cake cutting. We left after that (it was already after 10)... but I had a great time. I'm so happy for the newlyweds.

Once again, when we got home, I made Trav pose (sorry about the blur, I got a glare off the thing I used to prop the camera):

Aren't we cute? And again, about 60 seconds later:

Monday my mom and brother came down to hang out for the holiday. They had wanted to see Trav around his birthday anyway, and it worked out with the day off. My dad wasn't feeling up to traveling, so he stayed home... but we had a really nice time. Trav cooked a great late lunch, and we relaxed and hung out for a few hours before they headed back home. We ended up with the best weather! It finally felt like May!

As you can (kind of) see, our neighbor went all out with the flags... they stretch all along the front of our yard and up the little edge that leads to our porch. We found this when we came home on Sunday night. We didn't mind though! What a cute Memorial day decoration.

I really do appreciate Memorial Day for what it is... not just a day off, but a reminder of those who protect the freedoms I hold so dear, of those that died protecting those freedoms. Though I might not agree with getting into the war we are currently in, I respect those that put their life on the line for it. My mom's parents met while they were both serving, and my dad's father also served... not to mention the multiple friends that I have now who are serving. I'm so grateful that they all came back from their wars, and its good to remember those who didn't.

William has a great post about it here.

In other news, and one last picture to share... I know I promised to take a break from the multitude of plant pictures, but I have to share this one:

I was just so happy to see my little azalea blooming!! Obviously it made it through the planting okay! :-)

Also yesterday, two neat things:
First, it was my coworker (work-mommy!) Jan's birthday! Happy Birthday Jan! Love you! I got her a bouquet this morning which she seemed to really like.
And two, I got some great great news from a close friend of mine... which was just such a nice way to end the day/weekend. I can't share yet because she obviously wants to pass on the news herself first, but it was just a really nice surprise to get this call from her.

Well, that was my weekend. Long, full, and fun. Today started off a bit rough... last night I didn't really sleep. I got maybe a ten minute doze in from when we hit the hay at 10 until about 3:45 in the morning. After that I was finally able to fall asleep, but that's not really enough time! And apparently my body revolted because I turned off my alarm in my sleep and didn't wake until 7:45 (I leave at 8)!! Let's just say, that is one way to jolt yourself awake. I did manage to get out of the house on time... but I had to skip a real shower, which sucks. Hopefully I'll sleep a bit better tonight.

In one last bit of news... I did walk twice this weekend, but now I'm going to be taking the week off. I hurt my ankle a week or two ago... it was giving me pain when I walked, and this Sunday it was very bad. I looked up my pain and it appears I may have given myself achilles tendonitis... ugh. I wasn't being careful enough about warming up before walking... which in addition to the amount I was uping my milage, was a bad combo! So now I have to pay the price. I'm hoping a week off of it (well as off of it as possible!) will give it the time it needs to recover. And from now on I am going to be super-anal about warming up and stretching.

Well, time for me to get back to work. Hope you all had as nice a weekend as I did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!
~ Meegs