radio silence

Sorry for the radio silence people... we have had The Sick. Big time. I haven't been to work since Monday, and I have been miserable. I think this is the most sick time I've taken in a row since I started this job, and maybe the most I've taken in a year!

Monday I had a little tickle in my throat, but it wasn't anything. I put together a bit crockpot full of beef stew that night, to cook the next day. That night though, no sleep... I was coughing constantly, and it was miserable.
Tuesday we had the ultrasound, then I came back home and decided to call out for the rest of the day since I was feeling so run down and still coughing a ton. I called the midwives and was told I could take Robitussin DM for the coughing and Tylenol for aches, plus lots of liquids and rest. So that's what I did. Didn't have any appetite though, so Trav got to dig into the beef stew alone. I hear it was fab. That night, still no sleep... the Robitussin wasn't putting a dent in the coughing. Plus, all the stuff down the back of my throat and into my stomach made me sick, physically sick three times. Miserable for both Trav and I. If we had a guest bedroom that could be slept in right now (unforch its full of all the stuff from our office right now and you can't even find the futon), I would have slept there, just so the poor guy didn't have to be up all night with me.
Wednesday I was supposed to have my normal monthly appointment, but spent all day on the phone with the midwife, and we obviously decided to reschedule. My temp got up to 100* so she called in a prescrip for Tamiflu, which I pick up that afternoon. Neither of us is sure if it is just a really bad cold or the flu, but we want to play it safe. She warns me that if its the cold, the Tamiflu is not going to help. I have to take it twice a day for 5 days, plus I'm still doing the Robitussin and Tylenol. This day was definitely the worst. The lack of sleep is really doing me in, and I just feel miserable all over. I actually break down in tears twice because I just feel so Bad. My only goals for the day are to try to keep the liquids flowing, and take my meds on time. I talk to the boss about the situation and he tells me to take all the time I need to be better. That night I sleep!! Still wake 4 times, but otherwise my sleep is sound! The only weird thing... some horrible night sweats. My fever breaking?
Thursday I wake up and want to eat something! Hallelujah! I continue all the meds, and drink tons, and actually eat some food. The boss tells me not to come in on Friday... sometime I had been debating. I'm still feeling sick, but I feel so much better. Then the icing on the cake, another really really good night of sleep. I think I only woke up 2 or 3 times... though I have some of the night sweats again.
Friday, this morning, I wake up feeling about 200x better then before... which is only compounded when I eat and then take my first shower since Tuesday morning! I feel (and yes, probably smell) like a new woman. Still coughing, but not nearly as often.. and the shower helps loosen some stuff up in my lungs. My appetite is finally really back too (hopefully I'll finally get to have some beef stew tonight!). I've eaten more today then I have in the past two days combine, maybe even the past three. I'm drinking tons of water, and still resting. Obviously I'm still taking the Tamiflu religiously and am still doing the Robitussin, but have cut out the Tylenol since my temp was back to normal yesterday and today. I plan to rest all weekend, but it will be back to work for me on Monday.

Now here's hoping that Trav doesn't come down with anything. He was feeling a bit off Wednesday night, but thought it might have just been because the poor guy was also suffering from lack of sleep. He said he felt so much better after getting some real rest, and said that he felt fine today. Lets hope that he really did avoid this!!

Lets also hope the my funny feeling ears are just funny feeling ears (maybe from the rest of my head being so full of gross stuff), and not the beginnings of an earache... since that is an unfortunate side effect of both cold and flu.

I think the worst part of the whole business was that I was worried about our little girl the whole time too. I was worried that I wasn't getting enough good stuff in me to keep her content... plus, I'm sure she was wondering why her water bed kept getting sloshed around all the time from all that coughing. ;-) But hopefully I'm fully on the mend now. I'm still not sure whether I just had a horrid cold or if I really had the flu... so many of my symptoms were boarderline between the two, but I'm so glad that I took the Tamiflu either way.

Well, I'm going to get back to my spot on the couch... surrounded by tissues and glasses of water and snacks... and get back to relaxing. But look for those promised pictures on Monday, when I'll actually have access to a scanner again!
(I also posted my weekly review, which I had filled out Tuesday morning before I really got sick... but hadn't posted because I thought I was going to add ultrasound pics that day! Its up now, just sans pics.)

1 comment:

  1. Im glad to hear you're feeling a lot better. I haven't been feeling the greatest either but I really think it's the weather being wacky right now and being totally exhausted... who knows. I'm glad you're doing alright though - sorry you had to go through all that this week :( I HATE being sick... oye vey!


Leave me some love!
~ Meegs