what happens in vegas... (Long!)

Thursday morning we found out that a long time scholar associated with my institute (and I do mean long, he's been here just about the whole time I've been alive) had passed away the night before. Very sad, he was only in his 60s I believe... a smart, well-traveled guy, with a gruff exterior but a soft heart. He had been in the office just a few days prior and looked great. The stroke just snuck out of nowhere.

Since he and his wife had no children, and the only family was in Peru, my boss was the one to help her with all the funeral arrangements. And he & Jan stayed here in Philly for the funeral... meaning they were not with Miyano & I in Vegas. A slightly scary last minute change. I've done one of these alone before... but that was at a place we'd already been, so I knew exactly what to expect. This place was new. So I was nervous.

Friday morning I woke up like normal and got all ready... kissed my puppy goodbye and walked the mile to the train station (to save Trav the trouble of having to pick up my car later). I was sweaty like a fat guy in a sauna. Whew! Took the train into the city, then another train out to the airport. I had plenty of time, so it was fine... I read. I don't mind those multi-part travels, as long as they aren't rushed.

Well this one definitely wasn't rushed. Once on the plane, we sat on the runway for an hour. Ugh. By the time we arrived in Vegas, I had finished all but a few chapters in my very thick book - the one that was going to last me through the plane ride home. Right. Also, I've determined that while I don't mind flying, and I'm not afraid of flying, and hell I love to travel so flying is really necessary... well, I don't really like flying. I feel crappy the whole time. I don't know if its the sitting with more sitting, and not drinking enough water, or having enough good food... but I just feel like crap the whole time.

Once we got in, we headed to the hotel to get settled in... then Miyano and I headed up to the strip to walk around for a bit. Dinner was back at the hotel with some of our weekend speakers and a few people associated with my work.

Saturday morning we headed to the Atomic Testing Museum for day one of our program. I was nervous, but save a few minor problems with a work associate (not Miyano, the only person actually from the office to come with me) and running a little late at lunch... it went great. We also got to do a tour of the museum:

A real Geiger counter!

Piece of the Berlin Wall.

That night Miyano and I went to the Bell.agio with our AV guy to pick up the tickets to see "O", and have a few drinks. He is a great combo of smart and hilarious, so we had a lot of fun.

Sunday we headed back to the museum, for a thankfully much shorter day... we were back to the hotel by 1:10... and even cooler then that? My best girl, Babs, arrived at the hotel about a half hour later... after driving 300 miles (about 4 hours) to see me.

I love this woman! :-)
We walked around the strip, ate a late lunch/early dinner at Bahama Breeze, then headed back to the hotel to relax and clean up. At 7:30 Babs toured the Bell.agio while 4 of my associates and myself saw Cirque de Soliel's "O". I can't even put into words how wonderful this show is. Just walkind into the theature is a treat (all Cirque pictures are from online as cameras aren't allowed):

The athleticism, the music, the coustumes and makeup... just incredible. They do things with their bodies which I couldn't imagine doing in my wildest dreams.

And they do it in, on, over, and around water!

I would see that show again in an instant! I hope I get the chance to... plus any of the other Cirque shows!

After Cirque, Miyano and I met up with Babs. I popped in the show's gift shop to grab a program and a trinket... then we were off to dinner at Koi.

It was delish and just a awesome looking restaurant.

Then it was back to the hotel for some relaxing, talking, and much needed sleep.

Monday morning I woke up about 8... got all ready and woke up Babs. Miyano and I were meeting in the lobby at 10:15 to hop a cab to the airport, so I saw Babs out and then she got on her way. The return trip wasn't too bad. I bought the book Marl.ey & Me to entertain me on the way home. The flight was fine and we actually arrived early... still felt crappy though.
Also, am I the last person to read this book? Did we all know that author and his wife experience a miscarriage which is discovered at their first ultrasound? I didn't. And I ended up crying on the plane after reading that part. Great.

BUT! It was a great trip overall. I had a lot of fun, the work part went well, and now I'm back home with my boy and my pup. Plus, this trip was a great way to end March... the month was pretty much one big crap shoot and I am ready to have the "fresh start" of April.

As for today, it is good to be back. I got to sleep in some before coming into work late. And the day has flown by! So now need to run and finish some things so I can head home...

Ps. No comments on the new look?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous that you got to see "O"! I've been to a couple of their touring shows and loved them, but I really want to see that one. My old boss just got back from LV, too, and went to one of their other shows. KA, I think? Still jealous.

    No comments on the new look from me because...well, I follow you on my reader and everyone looks the same there. I'm not sure what it looked like before, but now that I'm here I think it looks great! :-D


Leave me some love!
~ Meegs